Thursday, September 10, 2015

Cluster of My Controversy

In this post I will show and explain a cluster on the topic of animal testing that I made using Coggle. The link to my diagram can be found here.

In my cluster, I first sorted out the different sides in the subject of animal testing in laboratories. I established the different main groups into animal rights activists, those that were pro animal testing, and those that were pro alternatives to animal testing. After that I broke the different sides into prominent organizations or groups within the different sides. Once I had branched those off, I then listed for each group the values of the group as well as what they were saying about the topic and where/how they were saying it. 

Below is a downright tiny image of my cluster. And because that is really just ridiculously tiny due to the fact that I spread it out for readability and to make it easy to see the different branches, a link directly to my cluster can be found here.

Mattox, Bailey "Animal Testing in Laboratories" 09/10/15 via Coggle. 

Later on:

Through reading my peer's posts, I learned that there are many ways to Coggle. Both Hunter and Zayla used Coggle in their posts, but they used it in slightly different ways than I did.

In Zayla's post, I liked how she sorted the different groups and effectively explained their ideologies. I noticed that it was a little hard to follow though, and that made me feel more confident in how spread out my Coggle was.

Hunter's blog post was extremely organized and easy to follow, and his use of color coding actually inspired me to change my own Coggle to have more different colors so it would be easier to follow the different branches.

Using Coggle actually helped a lot with the organization of my thoughts. At first I was a bit skeptical because I typically prefer to use pencil and paper to outline because the thoughts and ideas tend to come rapid fire. But I think that using this tool actually helped me to get my thoughts down in a logical and clear manner instead of my usual mess of an outline.

I believe that the outlining and clustering phase is a very important step in the writing process (at least to me it is). This helps the reader find the connections between different sources and organizations as well as group them in a logical way. I even think that doing something like this before every writing assignment would begin to form the basis for the different sections and grouping in your assignment.



4 comments:

  1. We both used the platform and had similar structure for our clusters. Yours is more spread out than mine and it seems a little bit easier to follow, despite having the same general space. I could benefit from making mine more spread out. We took a similar approach of making a small point, and then breaking it down into multiple different legs and furthering on the information. I think this will make thing easier for us when we begin making our quick reference guides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the layout of your cluster. It's very easy to follow and has a lot of, what seems to be, crucial information on it. After reading I feel like I have a pretty decent understanding about the controversy over animal testing.

    The layout of mine is pretty similar to yours, but you have more branches. I only have 4 while you have 6. You also have more information in your cluster. Not going to lie, the first thing I'm going to do after writing this is add on to my cluster. So, thank you for inspiring me to do better,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding on to my previous comment, the link you included didn't work for me. I think to see it in that context the viewer needs to be logged onto your account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You went into so much more detail that I did and like Betsy, I'll be doing some revising for sure! You had a lot of information but it wasnt cluttered and it was very easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete