Friday, September 4, 2015

My Field of Study

My major is Biology, and with my Biology degree I want to become a Zoologist. In this post, I am going to explore questions relating to my field of study.

PublicDomainPictures
"Baby Animal Gorilla Africa Black Primate Monkey"
via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain
1. In my program, students learn a variety of skills related to the study of life. One of the most important things Biology majors learn to do is make very detailed observations. Whether the Biology student hopes to become a conservationist or a zoologist, being able to make keen observations is a vital skill to learn. Also, students in my program learn to be able to make judgments based on their observations and knowledge. In a Biology job, there are many times where you have to be able to think on your feet and adjust to the situation. The skills of making observations and applying the observations and their knowledge to make judgments are important for any student in the Biology program to learn. 

2. People who get degrees in Biology typically go on to a job that focuses on research. Whether the research is with plants, animals, diseases, or nutrition, the majority of Biology related jobs are highly research centered. 

3. I was drawn to this field by my desire to research mountain gorillas and other large primates. I grew up in a ranching family and animals have always been a central part of my life. In addition to this love of animals in general, I have long been fascinated by gorillas and their interaction and human-like tendencies.  Being such a research-centric field, Biology gives me a strong background for my future job prospects in this field.

4. In my opinion, Jane Goodall is the most interesting person in my field right now. She is considered to be one of the most knowledgeable person when it comes to chimpanzees, and is well known for her work with the chimps and her groundbreaking findings on their tool making capabilities and surprising intelligence. I have always found her work in this field fascinating because of how close it is to what I want to do with my life. 

5. One leading academic journal in the Biological field is "Animal Behaviour" which is based out of the United Kingdom. Other leading academic journals are "Journal of Mammalogy" which is based out of Washington DC, and Journal of Zoology which is published out of London. 

Later on:

After reading Allison and Aaron's posts, I am inspired to explore different aspects of my major.

Allison's way of describing psychology made me realize that a psychology class would probably be very useful in my major. She is going to be studying people and I will be studying gorillas, but understanding why they act the way they do would obviously be super useful in both of our fields.

Aaron however has a completely different subject matter than me. However the way he talked about how he would be studying what makes up a computer sounded very similar to my own ideas about studying primates. He also made me realize that just like in Computer Science, there are many avenues to explore in Biology and so maybe I will research further on the opportunities available to me with my Biology degree.His passion for his major also reminds me of how I feel about my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment