Thursday, October 29, 2015

Considering Types

Global X "Rule #1 during arguments" 01/22/14 via flickr.
Attribution 2,0 Generic
In this post I will be considering the different types of arguments that I might use for my controversy. In particular I will be talking about the position argument, the casual argument, and the evaluative argument because I think that these will be the most effective for my perspective. I will also talk about how the refutation argument and the proposal argument wouldn't work for me.



POSITION ARGUMENT

I think that this argument would probably be the strongest for me. It basically describes what I want to do, which is give a different perspective and defend it. I think this this would be the most straightforward and effective type of argument for me to make in this context and with this audience.


CAUSAL ARGUMENT

This one could also work, but I don't think it would work as well. I could focus on the fact that people ignore emotional aspects over the logical side of the story and how this leads to negative effects. However there is no real definitive cause of this issue and so it wouldn't be very strong.

EVALUATIVE ARGUMENT

This is sort of an interesting way I could do this project, because I could claim that Patterson and the gorilla foundation were aiming for this type of emotional impact the whole time. I could then conclude using evidence that they were very effective in achieving their goal because of all the positive outcomes of this story emotion-wise.

PROPOSAL ARGUMENT

Since there is no real solution to the controversy I am addressing (at least not the way I am addressing it) this would not be a strong choice for me, This type of argument seems to be for those who have a plan on how to do something that they are trying to convey to the reader, whereas I am just trying to mostly convince them to self-reflect a bit.

REFUTATION ARGUMENT

Although I will be refuting the fact that scientific value is the most important in Koko's case, I will not be actively trying to prove that their point of view is wrong. This would not be a good choice for me because I am just trying to introduce a new perspective, not eliminate any perspectives.


Reflection:

For this reflection I looked at Grace's rhetorical action plan and her considering types post. I did the same with Olivia's rhetorical action plan and considering types post. After reading their posts I think that I am going to stay on this plan for my project, because I think all of our arguments will work great for us individually. I think that Olivia's idea about a cooking show is GENIUS. It makes me want to try to add something more creative to my argument. Maybe since my genre is a newspaper I could add a gorilla crossword puzzle or something sort of fun like that just for the whole effect of the final project.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Bailey. I love the photo that you used for this post! I think that your project will work very well with the position type argument that you decided on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your reflection on the types of arguments was awesome and I think you have a really good grip on what you are trying to accomplish with this project. I think that a position argument would work well but I also think that doesn't challenge your audience to think about what you're trying to get them to think about.

    ReplyDelete